Click here for Blogger tutorials, premade templates, free blog templates and custom blog designs »

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Me and My Aching Feet

Before, I used to stand for almost eight hours (at the most) whenever I have training classes. Now, after an hour or two, I'm starting to feel that my feet need to rest. It became worse that I was advised to consult a podiatrist.

I was able to consult a physician (since I was assigned to one) and her suggestion: BLOOD TEST! She wanted to check if its a possible case of gout. =(

That thought scared me and so I started to read related literature. I'll update this post as soon as I got the result. But for now, I need to avoid eating the following (from http://goutdiettips.com/ ):

Diet

  • Dried beans and peas, mackerel, meat extracts, sardines, scallops, shrimp, yeast extracts and organs like brain, heart, liver and kidneys.
  • Moderate amounts of purines, including asparagus, dried beans and legumes, fish, mushrooms, poultry, and spinach.
  • Lose weight by reducing calories rather than by vigorous exercise (which increase uric acid production).
  • Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily to dilute the uric acid concentration of urine.
  • Avoid alcohol, especially beer (with its brewer’s yeast content).
  • Eat cherries.

Nutritional Supplements

  • Avoid trace mineral supplements containing molybdenum. Molybdenum surplus causes a condition very similar to gout.
  • Avoid megadoses of vitamn C. They may increase the production of uric acid.
  • Avoid high doses (over 50 milligrams per day) of niacin. Niacin competes with uric acid for excretion into the urine.
  • Avoid iron supplements. Excess iron in the bloodstream can cause uric acids to form in joints.

As one of the popular lines of the doctors would say: "Prevention is better than cure."

Till next post. Have a healthy week ahead. =)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should go see a doctor if your feet hurt regularly.

:)